BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Facebook

I have read lately about some schools thinking about putting a policy in effect that would keep students and teachers from being "Facebook Friends". I myself think that is a good idea. When I think back to grade school and jr.high, and most people who are around my age probably thought the same way, our teachers had no life except coming to school each day to teach us,and that was her life. We didn't think of them doing anything like we did, heaven forbid them having a husband or children. We would never have conversations with them about anything but school stuff. And we liked it that way.
These days students and teachers are very comfortable knowing details of each others lives. I remember when my son was in elementary school I signed up to help in his class. One day I was sitting by the teachers desk and some kids were around her desk trying to get help for some math problems. There were about 3 or 4 kids standing there and she looked at one of them and said "did you get my text yesterday?" the girl said "Oh I must have missed it" or something, I about fell off of my chair. I looked around and no one looked shocked, it was like something that happened every day. Wow, I went home that day thinking, do I have to worry about teachers texting my child among everything else? My son did not have a phone at that time, but what a shock.
Texting, friends on facebook ewww I just think it is so weird, Am I alone in this?
I have no idea how the schools will monitor this, we are just going to have to be more diligent with checking their phones and facebook acct. because I'm not sure that the kids think there is any thing wrong with this.

2 comments:

Life and Times of Sharon Wiggins said...

I really agree with you Linda. Teachers need to maintain their distance in order to receive the respect they deserve. Familiarity breeds contempt. Everything a student needs to know should be told to him in class; certainly not in a text.

We as parents need to constantly monitor what our kids our doing...not because we don't trust them, but because they are kids and they may not recognize danger when it's in front of them.

Candie said...

I work for the School District and we are not allowed to add anyone to our FaceBook or Myspace. Everyday I have students aske me and I tell them Sorry, we are not allowed to do that. Also, we have to be careful what we put on our FB because now days you can get fired from any job for what is on your page! With texting...that can be jail time!!